Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Stop and listen to the roses!

Stop and listen to the roses. Yes, I said listen...not smell.


Last week I woke up without my voice. If I truly tried, I could utter sounds, but the searing pain in my infected throat was enough to deter me. I slept in, drank lots of tea with honey and waited to feel better. I waited and I listened.


When someone speaks to me, of course I always listen. The natural flow of conversation always depends on both parties listening to be able to form a response. It’s natural, it’s normal even to listen. But what about true listening?


Listening. Not forming a response in your head, just listening to the words and meanings being spoken to you. Not shouting a greeting to a neighbor while walking in the neighborhood, but listening to her hum while gardening and simply waving a hello. Not talking on my cell phone while driving, but listening to the cars pass and watching the road intently.


Listening forced me to slow down. I relished every word Scott said about his day and I listened. I appreciated the rain falling on my roof as I listened to it beat at my windows. When the sun came back out, I ventured onto the porch and I listened to the world come back alive with the coming of the sunshine.


I think God is most present in my life in my quiet moments. Being forced into silence gave me time to think on my quiet times. How fleeting and rare they seem to be. Why do I not stop to listen more often? Are we not called to do so?


The bible commands us to, Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:1. This is our cue. To stop. To listen. To feel His presence, His appeal.


I remain humbled by my sick day. I cherish the lesson that presented itself. But reflecting later, I realized that the lessons are always going to be there; set in my life for me to stumble upon. But if I am not listening to my God, then I will not “hear” the lesson itself.


So slow down my friends and listen to your roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Cessna Club