Saturday, July 4, 2009

To be pregnant or not to be…

What is it about getting married that gives everyone around you, even those you do not know, the green light to ask about children? Seriously!

I have only been married just shy of two months and I am already getting irritated! People, puh-lease! I have been asked by co-workers, people who have assisted me in changing my name at the social security office, in elevators, on the phone, over e-mail, and more. It never irritates me when it’s a family member, but the social security lady??? C’mon!

What if I had just lost a pregnancy? What if I did not want to have children? What if I was pregnant, but was waiting to tell? What if we want to adopt? What if we are trying? What if we have yet to make our minds up about our family plan? What if we decide to wait for several years? What if God has a different plan for us? What if Scott and I are unable to have children?
Whatever our what ifs may be, they are ours. It pains me to think how many women must go through this all the time. If we do wait for several years, I can only imagine the flow of questions.

So far I have come up with the following come backs:

“Actually, we are trying tonight!”

“I’m sorry to disappoint, but my husband is a registered sex offender. It’s in a child’s best interest to stay out of our home.”

“E-gads! Children! Please do not curse in my presence!”

“Oh! Is that the next step we should be taking now? Thank you for letting me know!”

Of course I will never use one of those. But it is fun to think about.

For now I will continue to smile and say,

“I guess we will see what the future holds when the future arrives.”

4 comments:

  1. found your blog through not me monday, but couldn't help commenting on this one. My husband and I get it all the time, too. While we've been married a little longer than you guys, it's still frustrating! I think people mean the best, but they don't get that we all live our lives differently and aren't immediately moving from marriage to babies to whatever comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel. I have a friend that does not plan on having kids. Everyone tells her that she will change her mind. She is the same age as me and I do not think she will change mind now. I will tell you this....I have been married for 14 years and people still ask me about it. But what they ask is "When are you going to have another kid?" Amber is 10 and I am 35 and Jon is 37, I do not think we will be having any more kids. It never ends!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah blah blah, so when are you going to have a baby?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah. Don't think it ends once you have kids! People just keep asking when you're going to have the next one!

    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © The Cessna Club