Thursday, August 6, 2009

The third time is the charm. Right?

Have you noticed the world’s obsession with the number three?

Three blind mice.
Three billy goats gruff.
Three times a lady.
Three sheets to the wind.
Three cheers.
Three Dog Night.
Three ring circus.
Three trimesters in a pregnancy.
Three bags full in “Baa Baa Black Sheep”.
Three is a crowd.
Three times Peter denied Christ.
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.
The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Paper, rock, scissors.
Three notes in a triad (chord).
Three lines in a haiku poem.

And I could go on, and on and on, three times over in fact. But the one I have been focused on lately is that “bad things happen in threes.” Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

First, my cat Atlas broke out into a rash. I could see bloody spots on him so I shaved him down to get a good look at his skin. (And made him look like a bloody idiot.) My home remedies did not do the trick, so to the vet he went. He was placed on steroids to calm his skin and quit the itching. I had not finished giving him his meds when Ella the Boston terrier began to have issues.

So second, Ella began coughing. I rolled my eyes and went to work. But when I got home that evening she was coughing out of control. She couldn’t make it 60 seconds before she sounded like a goose. So to the vet she went. One hour later I was annoyed at Ella because she swallowed something she should not have and sliced her throat. It got infected and we left with antibiotics and cough suppressant in tow. But before Ella and Atlas finished their meds…

Thirdly, Cooper became a tripod. Cooper began only walking on three legs. Three! Good grief!
That’s it, right? I cannot have more than three sick or injured animals at one time?

The world (3 Germ layers: Endoderm, Mesoderm, Ectoderm), science (Primary hues in white light are the three colors: red, green, and blue.), nature (three leafs on a shamrock), and even the bible (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) operate on the rules of threes.

Surely, I must be in the clear. (IF I believed in such things.)

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Faith, Hope and Charity
Peter Paul and Mary
Winken, Blinken, and Nod
Snap, Crack, and Pop
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Small, Medium and Large
Alvin, Simon and Theodore (chipmunks)
CBS, NBC, ABC
Ready, Aim, Fire
Can you think of things that come in threes?

On your mark, 1-Get 2-Set, 3-Go!!!
HA! HA! HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © The Cessna Club